|Published:||Jan 15, 2013 10:19 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 17, 2013 6:37 PM EST|
FORT MYERS-Fla.-The shelves are bare at Fowler Firearms.
"AR 15's are the biggest things we are selling right now and the ammunition you use in that firearm," said Manager Jon Dezendorf.
He said he's having trouble keeping up with the overwhelming demand.
"We are on the phone constantly with our reps and manufacturers to receive more ammo and firearms."
Still, the supplies aren't coming in fast enough for many customers, including Jordan O'Dell.
"It turns into going online and I have to special order and it is a hassle to get and more expensive."
O'Dell said he's forced to pay up to 20-percent more online for his ammo.
"Mainly bigger rounds and larger rounds"
The NRA reports it gained more than 250-thousand members in the last month. Ken Imrisek was one of them.
"Guns don't kill. People who shoot them do." He supports tougher background checks for gun owners.
And a new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows most Americans feel the same way.
"I am picking up my first gun."
For Denise Elliott timing is everything. That's why she's making a purchase on the eve of the President's gun control proposal.
"I don't know how the laws are going to change. I want to have my gun before anything gets regulated too far."
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday