|Published:||Jan 15, 2013 2:23 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 15, 2013 5:11 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral Police responded to a report of a barricaded gunman/hostage situation on the 4000 block of SW Santa Barbara Place this afternoon just after 1:00 p.m.
A 16-year-old was believed to have skipped schooland was possibly at his home at that location. His father was at work and asked a family friend to go to the home and verify that the boy was there.
Upon arrival at the residence, the family friend was confronted by the teen who threatened him with a baseball bat. The teen then retreated into the home and armed himself with a handgun.
The 16-year-old then barricaded himself inside of the residence and took a 15-year-old female acquaintance as a possible hostage. The family friend then called Cape Coral Police for help.
Officers arrived and quickly established a perimeter around the home and shut down the surrounding streets. Due to the seriousness of the situation, the SWAT Team was called in. SWAT Team members took over the perimeter and Hostage Negotiators attempted to establish contact to resolve the situation peacefully.
At approximately 3:00 p.m., the SWAT Team made entry in to the home and quickly rescued the hostage. The boy was also quickly and safely taken into custody without incident.
The girl was taken to Health Park Hospital to be checked out as a precaution, but is believed to be unharmed.
The teen suspect was transported to Cape Coral Police Headquarters to meet with Detectives. Charges are pending.
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Cape Coral man arrested for child neglect
- Deadly motorcycle crash in Lehigh Acres
- Couple killed while crossing US 1 in central Fla.
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week
- U.S. 41 Northbound Blocked near Andrea Lane
- Homeless chilren create Pictures of Hope
- Disabled kids in nursing homes suit consolidated