|Published:||Jan 15, 2013 11:25 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 15, 2013 11:25 AM EST|
MARATHON, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a reckless driver jumped from the top of the 7 Mile Bridge near Marathon during a police chase.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says callers reported seeing a car driving north in the southbound lanes of the bridge around 11 p.m. Monday.
A deputy spotted the car in Marathon a few minutes later and followed it. The driver made a u-turn and headed south. Deputies chased him at speeds reaching 90 mph.
At the top of the bridge, the driver got out of the car. The deputies approached him, ordering him to put his hands in the air. He jumped into the water and began yelling for help. He was recovered a half-mile from the bridge.
Deputies say 45-year-old Dale Darosa was airlifted to Miami for treatment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting