|Published:||Jan 14, 2013 11:39 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 14, 2013 11:39 AM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - A retired Roman Catholic priest has pleaded no contest to multiple child sex abuse charges.
Monday's plea agreement reduces the charges against Father Neil Doherty from capital to second degree felonies.
Attorneys for the victim said Doherty befriended a young boy who lived across the street from the church and later plied him with drug-laced sodas and sodomized him. Attorneys alleged that ritual continued for several years.
Attorneys also claim Doherty abused dozens of others boys and that church officials covered it up, moving him to a different church whenever an allegation surfaced.
Doherty faces up to 15 years in prison.
The Archdiocese of Miami did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
A Miami jury returned a $100 million verdict against Doherty in 2011 in a civil suit.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire
- Union vote set for some Lee Co. government workers
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Island Park brush fire remains mostly contained