|Published:||Jan 11, 2013 6:02 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 11, 2013 11:14 AM EST|
HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - It took more than a year, but authorities in South Florida are searching for a child who went missing when he was just 5 months old.
Hallandale Beach police said Thursday that Dontrell Melvin was last seen in July 2011 his father left with him, but returned home alone. They say 27-year-old Calvin Melvin Jr. told the boy's mother that he'd given him to his parents so Dontrell could have a better life.
The boy's mother waited more than a year to report him missing.
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/WI4vtC ) reports child protective services also failed to act after a call was received at their abuse hotline last fall.
On Thursday night police said the boy's was at the police station. He's considered a person of interest.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral