|Published:||Jan 10, 2013 11:18 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 10, 2013 11:18 AM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - An undercover Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy is recovering at home after a shooting that left a suspect dead during a drug sting.
Authorities say the deputy was buying crack cocaine at a Tampa apartment complex Wednesday evening when the dealer tried to rob him. The two men started to fight and the deputy lost his handgun. Backup deputies rushed in to help and fatally shot 31-year-old Robert Gary Jr.
The sheriff's office did not release the name of the undercover deputies involved in the shooting due to the sensitive nature of their work. All three detectives are on administrative leave, pending a review of the shooting.
No further details were immediately available.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes