CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fl. - The area around the Punta Gorda Airport offers plenty of room for development.
"The airport area has a number of industrial parks including our own and what we're seeing is a big push on distribution," says Gary Quill, Airport Director.
Already, Chaney Brothers Distribution is being built and bringing with it hundreds of jobs.
Publix and Southeast Freight have also purchased property here and with added incentives, County leaders are hoping to continue luring in big business.
"Anything we can do to put Charlotte County on the map we're very happy with," says Julie Mathis with the Charlotte County Chamber.
To do that... they've created Enterprise Zones.
They cover about 16 square miles across the county, targeting high unemployment and high poverty areas.
Debra Forester with the Economic Development Authority says expanding or building a business within these zones comes with some big incentives.
"Our local businesses can benefit from a sales tax refund when they purchase certain equipment and machinery... another component is to try and encourage businesses to hire from residents that live within the enterprise zone," she says.
"As the economy continues to improve we hope we hope that additional jobs can be created!" adds Quill.
- Second Lee County bank robbed, suspects in custody
- Fatal crash on Golden Gate Parkway
- Fire at North Fort Myers home causes extensive damage
- Florida is #2 for internet crime complaints
- Deputies: 86-year-old Fla. mom shoots, kills son
- Fla. man trapped in car, dies from complications
- Heroes rescue disabled Fla. vet from pond