|Published:||Jan 10, 2013 12:39 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 10, 2013 5:54 PM EST|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla.- A 77-year-old burglary victim allegedly defended his home by chasing the suspect with a machete Wednesday afternoon.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office says 24-year-old Kevin Dumas broke into the residence on the 200 block of Hines Ave. just before 2:00 p.m.
The victim told deputies Dumas kicked in the door, so he grabbed a machete from the garage. When Dumas saw the weapon, he ran, but the victim chased him. Dumas allegedly yelled back to the victim, "This was for your son breaking up my house," but the victim responded, "I have no son."
Dumas allegedly fled in a white SUV. The victim told deputies Dumas tried to run him over in the process.
Deputies located a vehicle matching the description given by the victim, and made a traffic stop. The driver was wearing the clothes also described by the victim. Dumas was positively identified by the victim, was interviewed by detectives and subsequently arrested.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students