|Published:||Jan 09, 2013 10:33 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 09, 2013 11:49 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla - WINK News has confirmed at least one flu related death in Lee County. In the last three weeks, the number of flu cases at Lee Memorial Hospital has more than tripled.
The week of December 9-15, Lee Memorial had 23 confirmed cases of the flu. Last week they had 109.
Stephen Streed, Assistant Director of Epidemiology at Lee Memorial says, "we know it can be a serious disease. I think people take it too lightly and should pay more attention to the gravity of it."
The CDC estimates the flu kills 25,000 people a year.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Third-grade FCAT math and reading scores static
- Investigators look for answers in fatal Gateway standoff
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students