|Published:||Jan 09, 2013 10:33 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 09, 2013 11:49 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla - WINK News has confirmed at least one flu related death in Lee County. In the last three weeks, the number of flu cases at Lee Memorial Hospital has more than tripled.
The week of December 9-15, Lee Memorial had 23 confirmed cases of the flu. Last week they had 109.
Stephen Streed, Assistant Director of Epidemiology at Lee Memorial says, "we know it can be a serious disease. I think people take it too lightly and should pay more attention to the gravity of it."
The CDC estimates the flu kills 25,000 people a year.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers