|Published:||Jan 09, 2013 1:43 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 09, 2013 5:43 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Deputies arrested 36-year-old Dominic Griffiths, a homeless man, at 10:45 a.m. on Tuesday after witnesses say he snatched a woman's purse a fled. Bystanders caught him and held him until officers arrived.
The victim told deputies she was walking near Palm Beach Blvd. and New York Dr. when a man approached her on bicycle, grabbed her purse off her shoulder and continued riding onward. The victim said she dropped the groceries she was carrying and ran after the suspect.
A man in a vehicle at a nearby traffic stop witnessed what had happened and chased the suspect. The suspect crashed into a power poll at Tice St. and Lynneda Ave. while trying to avoid the witness. The witness and another citizen were able to subdue the suspect until officers arrived.
Witnesses say the suspect told them he had made a mistake by taking the woman's purse and asked to be let go.
Griffiths was arrested and charged with robbery by sudden snatching.
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Communications satellite launched into space