BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) - Bradenton police will investigate security at schools and officials in Polk County will step up patrols following the deadly shootings Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
Beginning Tuesday, a team of officers will investigate about a dozen schools within Bradenton's city limits. Along with the task force, increased patrols of elementary schools will continue.
In Polk County, law enforcement countywide will step up patrols at elementary schools when students return to school Tuesday.
The additional law enforcement and increased patrol will be at no cost to the district.
Hillsborough County has moved to put a higher presence of law enforcement at schools since the Connecticut shooting. Pasco and Pinellas counties have not opted to do the same.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lee County deputy & girlfriend arrested on marijuana charges
- FedEx truck hits power lines, catches on fire
- Locked mystery safe found in Charlotte Harbor area
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- CCSO arrests 3, seizes 122 marijuana plants in bust
- Federal charges filed against wanted Lee County fugitive
- Turks & Caicos officials drop charges against 2 US tourists
- Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- State regulators suspend Lee County doctor's license