|Published:||Jan 08, 2013 5:14 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 08, 2013 6:01 PM EST|
SARASOTA, Fla.- A 60-year-old sex offender has been captured after 24 years on the run.
Richard Verboys was convicted in Sarasota County of Lewd and Lascivious Battery on a Child for sexually assaulting a seven-year-old girl. In 1988, he was sentenced to probation and court-ordered mental health counseling, but fled the area a short time later.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office Fugitive Apprehension Unit developed leads on his whereabouts and forwarded them to the U.S. Marshal Service Middle District of Pennsylvania Task Force and they took him into custody today in Scranton. Verboys will be booked into the Lackawanna County Jail where he will await extradition to Florida.
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman