|Published:||Jan 08, 2013 6:53 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 08, 2013 6:53 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Lee County School Board members plan to discuss school safety and security issues at tonight's board meeting.
Since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, school safety has been on top of everyone's mind. While Lee County district leaders and board members agree the district does have good policies in place, they say there is always room for improvement.
Board member Don Armstrong says he has received numerous phone calls and comments from the community of people wanting to know what they can do to help security. He says people are genuinely concerned and he's even received suggestions from EMS workers and others volunteering to help protect the schools.
The issue was discussed briefly at the board's briefing Tuesday afternoon. Superintendent Dr. Joseph Burke says they've held numerous meetings on the topic. He says he will consider calling an executive, closed door session so the board can talk about the safety issue.
Teacher's Union President Mark Castellano also has some concerns. One of them, being teachers having the ability to lock their classroom doors from the inside.
He says he would also like to see more money for school resource officers, so they can monitor every school. Castellano says he is completely against armed guards at schools and arming teachers with guns.
The discussion is expected to come up during the 'board member comments' portion of the meeting.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed