|Published:||Jan 08, 2013 10:30 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 08, 2013 6:41 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- Fort Myers Police have identified the victim in yesterday's shooting as 27-year-old Kristopher Smith.
On Monday at 10:58 a.m., officers responded to a call for shots fired at the Apostolic Revival Center Christian School, located 2100 Barden Street. Upon arrival, police located Smith deceased in the parking lot of the school.
The shooting was not associated with the school and no children were hurt.
Police believe the murder was a targeted act of violence and detectives are actively investigating the crime.
Fort Myers Police were on site Tuesday to conduct interviews with school personnel. The school was closed to give students and teachers time to recuperate. Classes will resume Wednesday.
An unidentified friend of the victim believes Smith was killed in retaliation for talking with police.
Neighbors in the Dunbar community are frustrated over the spike in violent crime. There were 24 homicides in Fort Myers in 2012, with 19 of them still unsolved.
"our population is not great enough to warrant this kind of thing. Chicago yes, not Fort Myers," Dunbar resident Gerri Ware said.
The investigation remains ongoing at this time. No further information available. Anyone with information is asked to call FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637) Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous. Updates will be issued via e-mail.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down supt. search
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- McGregor Baptist offers way to Help Tornado Victims