|Published:||Jan 04, 2013 4:56 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 04, 2013 4:56 PM EST|
OCALA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 20-year-old woman shot her infant son and then turned the gun on herself.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office reports that 6-month-old Jonah Mendoza was pronounced dead Friday afternoon. His mother, Melanie Reyes, was in critical condition at an area hospital.
The Ocala Star-Banner (http://bit.ly/134bYtU) reports that a relative of the mother saw a Facebook posting concerning the woman and a suicide. The relative called authorities, and deputies went to the home of the young woman's parents, which is where the young woman and her baby lived.
Deputies arrived about 11:15 a.m. to find the woman and baby in a back bedroom. No one else was home.
A handgun was recovered. Investigators were processing the shooting scene.
Information from: Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner, http://www.starbanner.com/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Woman dies after driving into pond