|Published:||Jan 04, 2013 4:56 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 04, 2013 4:56 PM EST|
OCALA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 20-year-old woman shot her infant son and then turned the gun on herself.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office reports that 6-month-old Jonah Mendoza was pronounced dead Friday afternoon. His mother, Melanie Reyes, was in critical condition at an area hospital.
The Ocala Star-Banner (http://bit.ly/134bYtU) reports that a relative of the mother saw a Facebook posting concerning the woman and a suicide. The relative called authorities, and deputies went to the home of the young woman's parents, which is where the young woman and her baby lived.
Deputies arrived about 11:15 a.m. to find the woman and baby in a back bedroom. No one else was home.
A handgun was recovered. Investigators were processing the shooting scene.
Information from: Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner, http://www.starbanner.com/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- A&E's 'Beyond Scared Straight' films in Charlotte County
- Suspect gets life in prison for 2011 deadly shooting
- Rollover on SB I-75 at Bonita Beach Rd. slows traffic
- Orange River Elementary principal Holly Bell retires
- Coyote sightings on the rise in Sanibel
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- Lee struggles with budget and SRO issues
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- Cape councilman McClain stays