|Published:||Jan 02, 2013 10:26 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 02, 2013 10:26 AM EST|
MIAMI (AP) - A stray bullet grazed a man celebrating a man celebrating New Year's Eve at a party in Miami.
Police say he's lucky. The bullet struck him just after midnight on Tuesday.
Miami television station WFOR (http://cbsloc.al/UEM2kJ ) reports homeowner Randy Ruiz told police the victim was a friend of a friend. He was struck as the partygoers were in the yard where fireworks were being fired off.
Ruiz says just after midnight the man complained of blood on his shirt. When the man took off his shirt, Ruiz says they saw a bruise.
Authorities across the state urged people not to fire weapons into the air in celebration of the new year because the falling bullets can kill or injure innocent bystanders - including people who are far away from the shooter.
Information from: WFOR-TV, http://www.wfor.com/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge