|Published:||Dec 28, 2012 5:53 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 28, 2012 11:14 AM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fl. - With just days left in 2012, Fort Myers Police are now investigating their 23rd homicide of the year.
A man was found dead in the front yard of a home on Bert Drive. That's near the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Veronica Shoemaker.
"This is all I hear about and I'm honestly sick and tired of it," says Samuel Negron.
Samuel Negron woke up to police cars and crime scene tape on his street.
"I heard the gunshots. I didn't think nothing of it, I'm used to hearing gun shots in this part of the neighborhood," he adds.
Those shots marked the 23rd homicide in Fort Myers this year. Detectives say they arrived to find a man lying dead in the front yard of a home on Bert Drive. Police stretched the crime scene for two blocks laying evidence markers and trying to piece together what happened.
"We're interviewing people... trying to get justice for the family in this case," says Detective Brian O'Riley.
"I feel the loss, I honestly feel the loss, I see this happen everyday in Bridgeport, I see this every day in Puerto Rico, I came down here to get away from it and its unavoidable right now," Negron adds.
Negron says, if the city wants justice, the community needs to step up.
"Gotta think about the people that have suffered and do something because otherwise this is going to be an endless cycle going on," he adds.
- Fire Dept: Barricaded man couldn't have survived fire
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- SWFL soldier surprises kids live on WINK News
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend