|Published:||Dec 27, 2012 10:25 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 27, 2012 10:25 AM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The mother of a boy who was hit by a stray bullet from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Day 2012 is speaking out in hopes of preventing similar injuries.
Sandy Duran of Ruskin created a campaign called Bullet Free Sky after her 13-year-old son Diego was hit in the head by a bullet while standing in his front yard. She's holding a news conference Thursday to urge people not to celebrate with gunshots.
Diego has undergone several surgeries to remove the bullet from his face, two brain aneurysms and a procedure to seal off leaking spinal fluid.
The non-profit effort was started to raise awareness about the dangers of celebratory gunfire. Sandy Duran created a website and produced a public service announcement to get the message out.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Residents are still homeless after a devastating Sept. fire
- Nate Lee continues to fight for 911 call system improvements
- Healthpark Medical Center adding 9 extra beds for season
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fla. Gov. wants to cut auto registration fees