|Published:||Dec 24, 2012 2:16 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 24, 2012 2:16 PM EST|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - A 56-year-old man is in critical condition after he was shot by Clearwater Police while armed with a semi-automatic rifle, shotgun, pistol and three knives.
Authorities said Monday that Mark Wayne Bill was shot Sunday evening outside of his home.
Officers initially thought Bill had fired a shot at them, and returned the fire. The two officers who discharged their weapons are on paid leave pending an investigation.
Officers were called to Bill's home after one of his relatives called police and expressed a concern about his well-being.
A police spokeswoman said that Bill, who is a military veteran and has a criminal history, also had an inert grenade in his home.
He is in critical condition at Bayfront Hospital.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors