|Published:||Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM EST|
Stepmother charged in SW Florida girl's death
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - A southwest Florida woman has been charged with aggravated child abuse in the death of her 11-year-old stepdaughter.
Authorities previously charged only Melissa Stoddard's father in her death. The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office says the girl was repeatedly strapped down to a board or tied up for hours.
The sheriff's office tells the Sarasota Herald-Tribune that Kenneth and Misty Stoddard told investigators that they tied up the girl for "behavioral issues." The medical examiner determined that Melissa died from a lack of oxygen to the brain.
Melissa died after being found unresponsive at home Dec. 12.
Kenneth Stoddard was held without bond Saturday on a charge of aggravated child abuse. His wife Misty was held on $50,000 bond. Jail records did not show whether either had an attorney.
Information from: Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune, http://www.heraldtribune.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Child killed after being backed over by truck
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba