|Published:||Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM EST|
Stepmother charged in SW Florida girl's death
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - A southwest Florida woman has been charged with aggravated child abuse in the death of her 11-year-old stepdaughter.
Authorities previously charged only Melissa Stoddard's father in her death. The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office says the girl was repeatedly strapped down to a board or tied up for hours.
The sheriff's office tells the Sarasota Herald-Tribune that Kenneth and Misty Stoddard told investigators that they tied up the girl for "behavioral issues." The medical examiner determined that Melissa died from a lack of oxygen to the brain.
Melissa died after being found unresponsive at home Dec. 12.
Kenneth Stoddard was held without bond Saturday on a charge of aggravated child abuse. His wife Misty was held on $50,000 bond. Jail records did not show whether either had an attorney.
Information from: Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune, http://www.heraldtribune.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti