|Published:||Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM EST|
Stepmother charged in SW Florida girl's death
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - A southwest Florida woman has been charged with aggravated child abuse in the death of her 11-year-old stepdaughter.
Authorities previously charged only Melissa Stoddard's father in her death. The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office says the girl was repeatedly strapped down to a board or tied up for hours.
The sheriff's office tells the Sarasota Herald-Tribune that Kenneth and Misty Stoddard told investigators that they tied up the girl for "behavioral issues." The medical examiner determined that Melissa died from a lack of oxygen to the brain.
Melissa died after being found unresponsive at home Dec. 12.
Kenneth Stoddard was held without bond Saturday on a charge of aggravated child abuse. His wife Misty was held on $50,000 bond. Jail records did not show whether either had an attorney.
Information from: Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune, http://www.heraldtribune.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Woman dies after driving into pond