|Published:||Dec 19, 2012 3:15 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 19, 2012 3:15 PM EST|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - The state of Florida has officially granted more than 1 million people permission to carry a concealed weapon.
A Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services spokeswoman says Florida had 1,000,645 active permits as of Wednesday morning.
Officials say Florida has the largest number of concealed weapon permit holders in the nation. The number of people applying for concealed weapon permits has risen sharply over the last four years.
Four out of five people with a permit are male. Roughly 10 percent of those with a valid permit are not state residents.
Anyone who is 21 years and older and is legal resident or citizen of the U.S. can apply for a permit. Convicted felons who have not had their rights restored and those judged mentally incompetent are ineligible.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down superintendent search
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- FHP releases final report on deadly Alligator Alley Accident
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Fort Myers Florist launches DIY wedding flower sessions
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges