|Published:||Dec 17, 2012 6:18 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 17, 2012 6:18 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- More than 40 deserving Everglades area children purchased presents for their family members during the eighth annual "Shop With A Cop" event held on December 1st.
Susan Gentry, a Collier County Sheriff's Office Crime Prevention specialist, organized the event, sponsored by the Collier County Police Activity League (PAL).
Forty-four children received $100 each to select items for their parents, siblings and a gift for themselves. Around three dozen CCSO members, along with their family members, went shopping with the kids to help them pick out and purchase the items.
The shopping spree began early in the morning when the CCSO members and children met at K-Mart, located in Golden Gate. Each child was paired up with an agency member and perused the aisles, making sure everyone in the child's family had their gift. Before checkout, each member/child pair met up with a deputy dressed up as the Buddy the Elf character and at the store's Christmas tree display for individual holiday photos.
The children and CCSO members headed over to Gina’s Café in the Park, in East Naples where they were greeted with holiday cheer and a free hot dog lunch.
The group made one more stop to an assisted living facility before finally heading home. The children visited the residents of Barrington Terrace, in East Naples, to sing Christmas carols and deliver holiday plants.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico
- E-911 System Out in Charlotte County
- Sports making their way back to Edison State College
- Toy drive sign ups end Friday for Collier Salvation Army
- Postal Service letter carriers collect toys this Saturday