|Published:||Dec 17, 2012 5:54 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 17, 2012 6:40 PM EST|
CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. - In Charlotte County, school leaders and local law enforcement stepped-up security at all campuses and surrounding neighborhoods.
Joe Carpentieri was out shopping for his grandson. He says the school shootings make him think twice about his family's safety.
"Right away you make a connection... it was almost unbelievable," he says.
Mike Riley with Charlotte County Public Schools says the district is on high alert. Extra security is patrolling the areas around all elementary, middle and high schools.
"After our hurricane, we did things to strengthen our schools against a future storm, we will do things to strengthen our schools against something this happening," he says.
Riley says they have 12 resource officers. There was discussion of cutting two of those positions within Punta Gorda to save thousands of taxpayer dollars, a price Riley says you can't think twice about after what happened Friday.
"Anyone that comes on that campus and one of the first vehicles they see is that of law enforcement," he adds.
After school programs are also taking steps to keep children safe. Lynn Dorler with the Boys and Girls Club says they take care of 400 kids a day.
"Pay attention to who's coming in and out of your buildings, checking ID's of parents... unfortunately if people have a will they're going to find a way and hopefully we can stop those ways
"You saw one teacher after another including the principal basically were willing to throw their life in the line of fire for a child and I can't imagine that being any different here," Riley adds.
Riley says many of their schools held a moment of silence for the victims and teachers led discussions with their students about the tragedy.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school