|Published:||Dec 16, 2012 11:11 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 16, 2012 11:11 PM EST|
THONOTOSASSA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa-Bay area man who authorities say attacked his neighbor with a hammer has been charged with second degree murder with a weapon.
A Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office press release says 28-year-old Jarrett Kyle Brooks was booked into jail late Saturday. It was not immediately known if he has an attorney.
Authorities say Brooks approached Jonathan Acree from behind at a Thonotosassa trailer park, striking him in the head and neck multiple times with a hammer.
Acree was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The sheriff's office SWAT team was called to the home where Brooks was barricaded. Authorities say he surrendered after tear gas was shot into the mobile home. There was no one else in the trailer.
Investigators have not released a motive for the attack.
- Deputies arrest Pop Warner football coach on drug charges
- CCSO IDs Golden Gate Estates murder victim, makes arrest
- New South Fla. threat: invasive rock pythons
- Puppy found with broken leg, owner arrested
- Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity to visit Ft. Myers
- Burglary suspect caught on camera using stolen cards
- Cape Coral man accused of killing wife appears in court
- Teen, 15, found hanging in north Florida
- More cash real estate purchases in Fla.
- Good Samaritans return envelope with $1,500