|Published:||Dec 12, 2012 12:39 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 12, 2012 12:39 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- Collier County Sheriff’s Office deputies discovered an illegal marijuana growing operation at 1825 Washburn Ave in Golden Gate Estates on Tuesday, with plants valued at nearly $1.3 million.
Detectives discovered four large indoor marijuana grow rooms that contained a total 431 marijuana plants. Two of the grow rooms were discovered in the residence and the other two were discovered in a stable behind the residence.
Detectives discovered eight air conditioners that were connected and providing cold air to the marijuana grow rooms along with 57 1,000-watt transformers that powered 57 high-intensity light bulbs. The light bulbs provided artificial light to the marijuana plants. Detectives discovered that the electricity to the residence had also been diverted for the operation.
No one was at the residence at the time of the search and no arrests were made.
The marijuana plants had an estimated street value of $1.29 million. The grow equipment was valued at approximately $50,000.
The investigation continues.
The Collier County Sheriff’s Office reminds residents that public awareness about marijuana grow houses and tips from citizens have helped deputies make arrests.
There are plenty of easy-to-spot indicators that a grow house may be operating in your neighborhood, including:
* More than one air-conditioning unit in operation
* Windows and blinds that are never open
* Frequent loading and unloading of equipment, especially at night
* Toys as props, but never any children
* Gates and "Beware of Dog" signs
* Little traffic, except for odd hours, weekends and nights
Anyone who sees suspicious activity and suspects a marijuana grow house operation should call the Collier County Sheriff's Office at 239.775.TIPS, or you can make an anonymous report via the CCSO website and deputies will investigate.
To make an anonymous report, go to the CCSO website at www.colliersheriff.org, then go to the tab labeled “How Do I?” and click on “Report a grow house or abandoned home.”
Photos by Collier County Sheriff's Office
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting