|Published:||Dec 10, 2012 10:36 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 10, 2012 10:36 AM EST|
KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - Two New York unicyclists have arrived in Key West after pedaling 106 miles along the Florida Keys Overseas Highway as a performance art project.
Sculptor Robert Hickman and circus performer Keith Nelson reached Key West's southernmost point Sunday afternoon.
Keys officials say they think it's the first time anyone has used a unicycle to ride down the highway linking the island chain.
Brooklyn, N.Y.-based Hickman and Nelson began their ride Tuesday in Key Largo. Pedaling across 42 bridges over the Atlantic Ocean, Florida Bay and Gulf of Mexico, they followed the route of the century-old Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad that evolved into the contemporary Overseas Highway.
Their Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail Unicycle Tour was a highlight of the open-air Sculpture Key West exhibition that continues through March 23, 2013.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors