|Published:||Dec 10, 2012 2:54 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 10, 2012 2:54 PM EST|
LAKE WORTH, Fla. (AP) - Palm Beach County authorities have identified the pilot killed in a small plane crash in Lake Worth.
A sheriff's office statement released Monday says 33-year-old Timothy Johnson, Jr. of Miami was pronounced dead on scene. National aviation officials are investigating.
The plane crashed Saturday afternoon inside John Prince Park. Authorities say Johnson took off from Lantana Airport to fly to Tamiami Airport in Miami. The plane was seen at an awkward angle after takeoff, banked, then nosedived into a stand of palm trees and burst into flames.
No one on the ground was injured.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- No one hurt in North Fort Myers mobile home fire
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Rescuers work to herd stranded whales away from SWFL shore
- Florida Supreme Court to discuss medical marijuana Thursday
- Collier County first responders investigate hazmat situation
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh, no one hurt