|Published:||Dec 10, 2012 10:35 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 10, 2012 11:21 PM EST|
In just 19 days millions of unemployed Americans could soon be without an income. Emergency jobless benefits could end on December 29th if Congress does not make a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff.
"Dooms day, I don't know," said Joe.
We are calling this man joe, he recently
we'll call this man Joe,he recently lost his job of ten years and collects unemployment.
"All the sudden I find out it might be done by the end of December and I am freaking out ," said Joe.
Joe is just one of nearly 2 million Americans who will impacted if the government cuts off emergency unemployment compensation or EUC. They benefits extension is part of the deal congress must compromise on before going over the fiscal cliff. But if no deal is made, EUC benefits will stop on December 29th, leaving many like Joe unsure of how they will survive.
"I have to pay my mortgage, I have to pay my taxes, everything," said Joe.
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity sent out this letter warning the nearly 120,000 Floridians of the danger ahead.
It says there will not be a phase-out period and will not accept new claims past December 22nd and not send any more checks after the 29th.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Police video of Bieber's urine test released
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer