|Published:||Dec 10, 2012 10:35 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 10, 2012 11:21 PM EST|
In just 19 days millions of unemployed Americans could soon be without an income. Emergency jobless benefits could end on December 29th if Congress does not make a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff.
"Dooms day, I don't know," said Joe.
We are calling this man joe, he recently
we'll call this man Joe,he recently lost his job of ten years and collects unemployment.
"All the sudden I find out it might be done by the end of December and I am freaking out ," said Joe.
Joe is just one of nearly 2 million Americans who will impacted if the government cuts off emergency unemployment compensation or EUC. They benefits extension is part of the deal congress must compromise on before going over the fiscal cliff. But if no deal is made, EUC benefits will stop on December 29th, leaving many like Joe unsure of how they will survive.
"I have to pay my mortgage, I have to pay my taxes, everything," said Joe.
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity sent out this letter warning the nearly 120,000 Floridians of the danger ahead.
It says there will not be a phase-out period and will not accept new claims past December 22nd and not send any more checks after the 29th.
- Barricaded man didn't survive in house fire
- Gateway street still blocked after fire, SWAT situation
- Retired Corrections officer arrested after accident
- Body identified in Fort Myers death investigation
- Neighbors fighting for fire station on Livingston Road
- Comedy show to benefit unpaid employees of Wise Guys
- Tiger has 4 pound hairball removed
- Stranger Danger in Naples
- Homes near sinkhole condemned
- Protecting children on the roads