|Published:||Dec 10, 2012 6:27 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 10, 2012 6:44 PM EST|
ENGLEWOOD, Fla. - A Charlotte County High School community is mourning the loss of one of their own. Junior, Jerone Campbell died Friday morning while undergoing surgery.
"It's a tragedy really is the only way you can describe what happened... its a sad place at Lemon Bay High School today," says Mike Riley.
The hashtag 'fly high' can be seen throughout Jerone Campbell's twitter page. Classmates, teachers and friends are posting messages to the junior who school leaders describe as popular and an unbelievable kid.
"Jerone was the most likeable kid on our football team one of the most likeable kids I've ever coached. a great quiet humble kid, worked hard, did everything you asked, there's not a person in this school building that could say anything bad about Jerone," says D.J. Olgilvie.
Jerone was a running back at Lemon Bay. Coach D.J. Ogilvie has been the coach here for two years. On Friday, he and the other coaches told their players about the loss.
"Very difficult time for our kids a lot of questions, why and we don't know that right now," he adds.
Reports say, Friday morning Jerone went in for surgery to have his tonsils removed. Reports say physicians told Jerone's mom that her son began waking up during the surgery, then his oxygen level dropped and his heart stopped soon after.
Michael Riley with Charlotte County Public Schools says counselors have been on hand helping staff and students cope.
"It is a sad thing for our entire community... as diverse as our community is from Englewood to two rivers away at Punta Gorda, there are kids at Punta Gorda that are grieving that played football against him," he adds.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach