|Published:||Dec 10, 2012 12:05 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 10, 2012 6:00 PM EST|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- Firefighters battled flames at a Port Charlotte house Monday morning. A dog and six cats were the only ones inside the home, located at 143 Rodgers Ave NE, at the time of the fire.
The house is now unlivable due to smoke and heat damage.
Authorities say the fire was electrical in nature, and that it all started with the entertainment center in the living room.
The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes.
One of the residents was running a quick errand and the other was at work at the time of the incident.
Some pets were unaccounted for Monday evening.
"Firemen assure me they've searched the house real well and none of them are laying in there dead, so at least hopefully they'll come home once things calm down here," homeowner Bob Motzer said.
Motzer and his wife will stay at a family member's house in Englewood. He estimates it will be at least a couple of months before they can return.
Damage estimates were not immediately available, but the couple has homeowners insurance.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes