|Published:||Dec 07, 2012 10:26 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 07, 2012 10:26 AM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Thieves broke into a van and took cash and luggage from a Christian youth group visiting South Florida from Oakland, Calif.
Miami television station WSVN (http://bit.ly/QMmZMp ) reports the group of about two dozen teens and young adults stopped to eat a restaurant Thursday afternoon shortly after arriving in Fort Lauderdale for a weekend youth conference.
Group member Christie Briseno told WSVN thieves broke into their rental van and took about $12,000 in cash, most of their luggage and IDs.
She says they worked hard to raise the money to come to Florida and everyone in the group is "devastated." The group had planned to be in the Fort Lauderdale area for five days.
Police say anyone with information about the theft can call Crime Stoppers at 954-493-8477.
Information from: WSVN-TV, http://www1.wsvn.com/
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- Gov. warns schools he will fight tuition hikes
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Communications satellite launched into space