|Published:||Dec 07, 2012 10:26 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 07, 2012 10:26 AM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Thieves broke into a van and took cash and luggage from a Christian youth group visiting South Florida from Oakland, Calif.
Miami television station WSVN (http://bit.ly/QMmZMp ) reports the group of about two dozen teens and young adults stopped to eat a restaurant Thursday afternoon shortly after arriving in Fort Lauderdale for a weekend youth conference.
Group member Christie Briseno told WSVN thieves broke into their rental van and took about $12,000 in cash, most of their luggage and IDs.
She says they worked hard to raise the money to come to Florida and everyone in the group is "devastated." The group had planned to be in the Fort Lauderdale area for five days.
Police say anyone with information about the theft can call Crime Stoppers at 954-493-8477.
Information from: WSVN-TV, http://www1.wsvn.com/
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools
- Garrod Drywall burglary suspect blacks out cameras