|Published:||Dec 07, 2012 10:24 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 07, 2012 10:24 AM EST|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say one person is dead after the canoe he was in with six other people capsized in a lake in northwest Orlando.
The group apparently launched the canoe from a private boat ramp in the Rock Lake neighborhood sometime after 3 a.m. Friday.
The Orlando Sentinel (http://thesent.nl/TOxnAM ) reports the group crossed the lake and went to a beach behind Parliament House night club. Around 4 a.m. they cast off to cross the lake again.
Orlando police spokesman Vincent Ogburn says the canoe flipped when someone tried to reposition. He says six boaters knew how to swim. But the victim, who was in his early 20s, did not. Someone tried to help the victim to shore, but he panicked and sank.
Ogburn says divers found his body 1,500 feet from shore.
Information from: Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay