|Published:||Dec 05, 2012 11:29 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 05, 2012 11:29 AM EST|
OLD TOWN, Fla. (AP) - Officials say an 86-year-old woman, a 10-year-old old girl and a horse were killed when they were struck by a vehicle on a dark road in Dixie County.
The Florida Highway Patrol says the girl was riding on the horse as Minnie Melba Delaney led it across the road Tuesday night. A minivan driven by 39-year-old John Henry Mash hit them.
The Gainesville Sun (http://bit.ly/UnTRt9 ) reports Delaney died at the scene. The child, Emma Maria Mercado, was airlifted to Shands at the University of Florida where she died early Wednesday.
Trooper Tracy Pace says the woman and child were neighbors.
Mash told troopers he didn't see the woman, child and horse. Charges are pending.
Information from: The Gainesville (Fla.) Sun, http://www.gainesvillesun.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico
- E-911 System Out in Charlotte County
- Sports making their way back to Edison State College
- Toy drive sign ups end Friday for Collier Salvation Army