|Published:||Dec 05, 2012 6:21 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 05, 2012 6:28 PM EST|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla.- Plans are moving forward to transform San Carlos Island into a resort style destination. In order to do that, the developer would have to tear down two RV parks-Ebb Tide and Oyster Bay.
The multi-million dollar development, in the Main Street area of Fort Myers Beach, would include 300 condos, 450 hotel rooms, a marina, shop and restaurants. On top of that, it would create hundreds of jobs.
The project has divided the community. Many have traffic and environmental concerns.
Janet Hladick said, "A 450-room hotel will bring traffic with guests, workers, and supply trucks. "
Supporters said they would rather have this development in their backyard versus an industrialized project. If the project gets the thumbs up, construction would start in two years.
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- Dr. Nancy Graham sworn in as Lee County Superintendent
- Passerby pulls floating 5 year-old from North Naples pond
- Lee County Schools want to spend $180,000 on marketing
- A young girl is home after a near drowning incident
- Some adult arcades still open after ban
- New home industry really coming back?
- Hillsborough County approves incentives for Amazon
- Comedy night to benefit unpaid employees of Wise Guys
- Zimmerman jurors reveal personal d