|Published:||Dec 03, 2012 10:06 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 03, 2012 10:06 AM EST|
KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 19-year-old from Miami died while free diving and spear fishing offshore of the Upper Keys.
Monroe County Sheriff's officials say the accident happened Sunday near the lighthouse at Tennessee Reef. The teen was with friends on a private vessel. When he failed to resurface after a dive, his friends called the sheriff's office.
The sheriff's dive team responded, along with the U.S. Coast Guard and the Wildlife Conservation Commission.
The teen's body was recovered and taken to the medical examiner's office.
No further details were immediately available.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis