|Published:||Dec 03, 2012 10:06 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 03, 2012 10:06 AM EST|
KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 19-year-old from Miami died while free diving and spear fishing offshore of the Upper Keys.
Monroe County Sheriff's officials say the accident happened Sunday near the lighthouse at Tennessee Reef. The teen was with friends on a private vessel. When he failed to resurface after a dive, his friends called the sheriff's office.
The sheriff's dive team responded, along with the U.S. Coast Guard and the Wildlife Conservation Commission.
The teen's body was recovered and taken to the medical examiner's office.
No further details were immediately available.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Power Outage Delays FGCU Game. Power Surge causes TV delay
- Firefighters rescue driver from atop his submerged vehicle
- Despite loss, FGCU fans make the best of game day
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed