EAST NAPLES, Fla. - The fire fighters at Station 21 do everything together. And you'll often find Lieutenant Craig Weinbaum manning the stove.
"Good, hearty, healthy food because in this business you end up with fast food a lot of the time," said Lieutenant Weinbaum.
On the menu for lunch today: "Marinated grilled chicken, it was topped with an arugula salad and then served with quinoa and gold asparagus."
His cooking receives rave local reviews.
"He's the best, he rocks, man he's really good," said East Naples Fire Chief, Kingman Schuldt.
And even national attention. In 2010, Lieutenant Weinbaum placed third in a nationwide cooking contest held by "Live with Regis and Kelly." Since then, his skills helped a local production company take first place in a local video contest for AllRecipes.com.
"Craig has a great personality and he has skills with it, those are the two things it takes to actually pull something off like a cooking show," said Edward Clay, the owner of EJC Productions.
And that's exactly Chef Weinbaum's dream.
"Stay as a fire fighter, but have a fire based cooking show where it could be informational, bring health, fire safety, information to the public. Get them involved all while showing them how to cook something," said Weinbaum.
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Local bar named Best beach bar in America
- FMPD forced to pay back overtime
- Rev up your lawnmowers for grasscar racing
- Record tourist season adds 1,700 hospitality jobs in Collier
- Naples tops 'Healthy Living' poll