|Published:||Nov 30, 2012 4:27 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 30, 2012 6:11 PM EST|
EAST NAPLES, Fla. - The fire fighters at Station 21 do everything together. And you'll often find Lieutenant Craig Weinbaum manning the stove.
"Good, hearty, healthy food because in this business you end up with fast food a lot of the time," said Lieutenant Weinbaum.
On the menu for lunch today: "Marinated grilled chicken, it was topped with an arugula salad and then served with quinoa and gold asparagus."
His cooking receives rave local reviews.
"He's the best, he rocks, man he's really good," said East Naples Fire Chief, Kingman Schuldt.
And even national attention. In 2010, Lieutenant Weinbaum placed third in a nationwide cooking contest held by "Live with Regis and Kelly." Since then, his skills helped a local production company take first place in a local video contest for AllRecipes.com.
"Craig has a great personality and he has skills with it, those are the two things it takes to actually pull something off like a cooking show," said Edward Clay, the owner of EJC Productions.
And that's exactly Chef Weinbaum's dream.
"Stay as a fire fighter, but have a fire based cooking show where it could be informational, bring health, fire safety, information to the public. Get them involved all while showing them how to cook something," said Weinbaum.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Sentencing delayed for Tampa abortion drug case
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme