|Published:||Nov 30, 2012 2:58 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 30, 2012 7:45 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A fire destroyed a home at 2025 NE 2nd Ave. in Cape Coral on Friday afternoon.
Neighbors called 911 after seeing smoke. They told dispatchers there might be children inside.
When firefighters arrived, they found two children outside, but several animals were rescued from inside the burning home.
Two kittens had to be resuscitated by Lee County paramedics, but all the animals survived.
The pets were taken by animal control officers to Lee County Domestic Animal Services.
Cape Coral Police called the childrens' mother who told WINK News she was applying for jobs and left the children in her oldest daughter's care.
Lese Klatka said she was both "relieved and sad."
"This is just another drop in the bucket for us. We'll get through it as we always do and pull together," Klatka said.
Cape Coral Fire Rescue Inspector Dave Webster says the fire started because of a malfunctioning dryer in the home's garage.
He estimated the damage to be between $50,000-$60,000.
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Desoto County deputy admits to lying about beating
- Men take homeowner's truck at gunpoint, abandon it nearby