|Published:||Nov 29, 2012 8:05 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 29, 2012 10:06 AM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a teenager with a violent past fatally shot a security officer outside an apartment complex.
Tampa police arrested the 16-year-old late Wednesday. They say DNA samples taken from a bicycle found next to the slain security officer linked the teen to the shooting of 38-year-old Michael Valentin. Valentin was killed while on patrol at the apartment complex on Thanksgiving Eve.
Police say the teen was arrested Tuesday night on other charges.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/TnyKG8 ) reports that after DNA results arrived Wednesday, the teen was arrested in Valentin's death.
Tampa police Sgt. Bill Todd says the motive was an attempted robbery. He says the teen acknowledged the bicycle was his.
Police say the teen was first arrested when he was 10 and has a dozen felony convictions.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Ex-inmate sues DeSoto Sheriff's Office for millions
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County