|Published:||Nov 28, 2012 1:42 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 28, 2012 1:42 PM EST|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - A medical examiner has determined two boys killed in a murder-suicide involving their mother drowned.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/UYoYfi ) reports the deaths of 9-year-old Zander Brown and his 5-year-old brother Zayden have been ruled homicides. Their 34-year-old mother Dawn Brown committed suicide by hanging herself from a ceiling fan in their Clearwater home.
The Times reports the medical examiner found unusually high levels of diphenhydramine, a chemical compound found in sleep medications, in the boys' blood. The drug was ruled a contributing condition in their deaths.
Pinellas County Sheriff's spokeswoman Cecilia Barreda says without more evidence investigators can't be sure that the mother used medication to render the children unconscious before drowning them.
The boys' father Murphy Brown found them dead in bed when he returned home Sept. 22.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'