|Published:||Nov 27, 2012 4:39 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 27, 2012 4:39 PM EST|
ORANGE CITY, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a central Florida teenager who accidentally shot and killed himself at a public library had stolen the gun from a neighbor's car a day earlier.
Orange City police said Tuesday that 16-year-old Yardeh Gautier entered the unlocked car parked at the Grandville Apartments on Nov. 14 and took the .38-caliber pistol.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/V0jQVK ) reports that a friend who acted as a lookout told police he and Gautier left school during their lunch break the next day and shot the pistol in a nearby wooded area.
Authorities say the teens later went to the Dickenson Memorial Library, where Gautier took the gun out. The weapon discharged, hitting Gautier in the right eye. He later died at a Daytona Beach hospital.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash