|Published:||Nov 27, 2012 4:39 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 27, 2012 4:39 PM EST|
ORANGE CITY, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a central Florida teenager who accidentally shot and killed himself at a public library had stolen the gun from a neighbor's car a day earlier.
Orange City police said Tuesday that 16-year-old Yardeh Gautier entered the unlocked car parked at the Grandville Apartments on Nov. 14 and took the .38-caliber pistol.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/V0jQVK ) reports that a friend who acted as a lookout told police he and Gautier left school during their lunch break the next day and shot the pistol in a nearby wooded area.
Authorities say the teens later went to the Dickenson Memorial Library, where Gautier took the gun out. The weapon discharged, hitting Gautier in the right eye. He later died at a Daytona Beach hospital.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- FBI involved in fatal shooting near Universal Orlando
- $60K approved for Lee school district convention
- SOLD: Lee County school buildings
- New Florida voting law
- Cape woman keeps track of OK friends, family
- Senate committee approves immigration bill