|Published:||Nov 27, 2012 8:19 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 27, 2012 11:16 AM EST|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - New Florida Senate President Don Gaetz has filled several key positions in his leadership team with fellow Republicans.
The appointments announced Monday by the Niceville lawmaker include Sen. Lizbeth Benacquisto of Fort Myers as majority leader and Sen. John Thrasher, a former House speaker from St. Augustine, as Rules Committee chairman.
Sen. Joe Negron of Palm City will chair the Appropriations Committee that handles budget matters.
Former Senate President Tom Lee of Brandon will serve as Benacquisto's deputy and majority whip.
Sen. Jack Latvala of St. Petersburg will chair the Ethics and Elections Committee that will have a high profile next year. Gaetz has made stronger ethics legislation a top priority. The panel also will look into long lines and delayed vote counts in this year's general election.
- Barricaded man didn't survive in house fire
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Police say school nurse's blood alcohol level was .275
- Man gets life after selling heroin near Lee Middle School
- Surgeons remove 4-pound hairball from tiger
- Crash blocks Golden Gate Blvd. at 22nd St. SE
- Former Arcadia city marshal resigns amid theft allegations
- Camouflaged alligators spotted at Wa-Ke Hatchee Park
- Woman talks to WINK News about faking sons' deaths
- Retired Corrections officer arrested after accident