|Published:||Nov 27, 2012 10:23 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 27, 2012 10:23 AM EST|
OCKLAWAHA, Fla. (AP) - The central Florida house known as the Ma Barker hideout, site of the longest shootout in FBI history, is up for sale.
The two-story house was slated to be auctioned in October and drew international attention, but the event was canceled when agents said their clients were cool to the $1 million starting bid. It's now listed at $889,000.
The house was made famous in 1935 when fugitive gangster Fred Barker and his mother, Kate "Ma" Barker, were killed in a shootout with the FBI. Ma Barker had been labeled Public Enemy No. 1 by the federal government for a spree of murders, kidnappings and robberies throughout the Midwest.
The Orlando Sentinel (http://www.ittybittyurl.com/heu) reports the sale will include FBI documents, maps from the shootout, and photographs showing the bodies.
Information from: Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Pilot whales stranded in Everglades National Park
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Cops: Man shoots friend while watching football
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Accused robber shoots self before arrest
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Former Cape mayoral candidate faces fraud charge