|Published:||Nov 26, 2012 10:11 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 26, 2012 10:11 AM EST|
PLANT CITY, Fla. (AP) - Police say a teenager defending his mother fatally shot his father in Plant City.
The shooting happened late Saturday as a group of family and friends were gathered around a bonfire outside a mobile home in a rural area northeast of Tampa. Police say the teen's parents went into the mobile home and got into an argument.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/TlE5y8 ) reports the father began beating the mother and was choking her when the 17-year-old son rushed in.
Police say the teen shot his father with a handgun before calling 911. Police found the father dead in the master bedroom. The mother was shot in the thigh. She was treated at a nearby hospital.
Police did not arrest the teen, who was left in the custody of his mom.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- DNA evidence leads detectives to North Port burglary suspect