|Published:||Nov 26, 2012 10:11 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 26, 2012 10:11 AM EST|
PLANT CITY, Fla. (AP) - Police say a teenager defending his mother fatally shot his father in Plant City.
The shooting happened late Saturday as a group of family and friends were gathered around a bonfire outside a mobile home in a rural area northeast of Tampa. Police say the teen's parents went into the mobile home and got into an argument.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/TlE5y8 ) reports the father began beating the mother and was choking her when the 17-year-old son rushed in.
Police say the teen shot his father with a handgun before calling 911. Police found the father dead in the master bedroom. The mother was shot in the thigh. She was treated at a nearby hospital.
Police did not arrest the teen, who was left in the custody of his mom.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- 911 call: Judge in Zimmerman trial hears dispute
- Fla. Gov. Scott's job approval up to 43%