|Published:||Nov 26, 2012 10:11 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 26, 2012 10:11 AM EST|
PLANT CITY, Fla. (AP) - Police say a teenager defending his mother fatally shot his father in Plant City.
The shooting happened late Saturday as a group of family and friends were gathered around a bonfire outside a mobile home in a rural area northeast of Tampa. Police say the teen's parents went into the mobile home and got into an argument.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/TlE5y8 ) reports the father began beating the mother and was choking her when the 17-year-old son rushed in.
Police say the teen shot his father with a handgun before calling 911. Police found the father dead in the master bedroom. The mother was shot in the thigh. She was treated at a nearby hospital.
Police did not arrest the teen, who was left in the custody of his mom.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Cape Coral firefighters investigate trash compactor fire
- It's almost time to 'spring forward'
- Gay-straight club lawsuit to be move forward