|Published:||Nov 26, 2012 10:24 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 26, 2012 10:24 AM EST|
MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) - A college student faces felony charges of making, possession and discharging a destructive device after police say an explosion rocked a dorm at Florida Institute of Technology.
Melbourne Police say the incident happened early Sunday. They say 19-year-old Christian Barnes Duke told authorities he learned how to make the device by watching "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel.
According to a police statement, Duke is accused of making the device from common household chemicals to create a reaction inside a container.
Police say he put the device in a stairwell at dorm and detonated it "causing a loud blast that disrupted other students."
No one was injured.
Duke remained in the Brevard County Jail on early Monday.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- 2 Collier beach access points reopen after replacing sand