|Published:||Nov 24, 2012 8:34 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 24, 2012 10:38 PM EST|
SANIBEL ISLAND, Fla. -- A warning for residents and vacationers on Sanibel island. Police say someone is sneaking into condominiums and stealing valuables.
It's happening from the 500 block of East Gulf Drive to the 3400 block of West Gulf Drive.
This kind of beach weather is exactly why people love to vacation and live on Sanibel.
"Sanibel is probably the most serene island in the world," said Andy Cerretani, who lives on the island. "I leave my doors open, I leave the keys in my car, I have a total feeling of safety on this island. Always have," he said.
But someone is taking advantage of that secure feeling. In the past ten days there have been 7 beach-front burglaries at condominiums along East and West Gulf Drive.
Sanibel police say the suspect or suspects is coming in from the beach side, before sneaking through unlocked condominiums and stealing valuables.
"Going in and snatching purses and wallets and cameras and things like that," explained Major James Phillips with the Sanibel Police Department.
It's happening in the afternoon and early evening. One suspect has been described as covering his face, and in at least one instance he burglarized a condo while a resident was inside.
"Where I'm from there are a lot of incidents like that, a lot of possibility for crime, you can never let your guard down," said Tracy Suk who is on vacation.
Police are stepping up patrols along the area and asking that people take extra caution by locking up before leaving the house.
Police tell WINK-TV they don't know if it's one person, or multiple people who are committing the crimes. If you have any information or tips about these cases you are urged to call the Sanibel Police Department.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school