|Published:||Nov 24, 2012 9:26 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 24, 2012 9:26 PM EST|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - A St. Petersburg woman has been charged with violating Florida law by riding a manatee.
Ana Gloria Garcia Gutierrez was arrested on a misdemeanor warrant Saturday. Pinellas County sheriff's deputies say she was photographed riding the manatee at Fort De Soto Park last September.
Sheriff Bob Gualtieri held a press conference a few days later asking for the public's help in identifying the woman. Gutierrez called deputies and allegedly admitted touching the endangered sea mammal. She told them she was new to the area and didn't know it was illegal to touch a manatee. The manatee was not hurt.
The maximum penalty is a $500 fine and six months in jail. Gutierrez was released on $1,500 bail.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Study shows foreclosure numbers down, job growth up in SWFL
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record