|Published:||Nov 23, 2012 10:40 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 23, 2012 10:40 AM EST|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a woman was fatally shot in the middle of a Jacksonville street as she tried to end her relationship with her boyfriend.
Jacksonville Sheriff's Office spokesman Shawn Coarsey says 24-year-old Rolisha Thomas and Calvin Wright got into an argument just after noon on Thanksgiving Day. The argument escalated as the two went outside and on Almeda Street in northwest Jacksonville.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/R4NWfz ) reports that's when 24-year-old Wright took out a handgun and shot Thomas several times. She was taken to the hospital, where she died.
Wright fled the scene and police were still searching for him on Thursday night.
Officials say Wright had a criminal record and had recently been released from prison.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP releases final report on deadly Alligator Alley Accident
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down superintendent search
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- Fort Myers Florist launches DIY wedding flower sessions
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Company offers extra protection to gun owners
- Mote Marine asking people to keep eye out for whale sharks