|Published:||Nov 23, 2012 5:18 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 26, 2012 11:57 AM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Crossfit training isn't just a workout anymore. It's now a world wide sport with big money and big sponsors for the elite. One Fort Myers man is taking it beyond elite...he wants to be the fittest man on the planet.
Jeff Evans is new to Crossfit. He's only been doing it for eight months.
"I had a friend at the Omni who told me about it. I was a college football player, so I wanted to feel the those competitive juices again. I did a little research and tried and loved it," Evans said.
So, he decided to enter the prestigious Pantheon Games in Miami for his first competition.
"I got third overall out of 130 guys, and a lot of them were really incredible athletes, so it was pretty cool," Evans said.
Crossfit competitions are unique. The events are kept secret, so you never know exactly what you'll be doing.
"Anything you can think of: powerlifting, kettle ball swing, burpees...anything just to see who is the best of the best," Evans explained.
With the early success, Evans wants to see how far he can go. He has just one goal...and it's a lofty one.
"I want to be recognized as a great athlete and I want to compete in the Crossfit games...and I want to be the fittest man on the planet," he said.
Evans is headed to Missouri in two weeks for another competition. WINK News will keep you updated on how he does on his quest to be the fittest man on the planet.
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Communications satellite launched into space
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more