|Published:||Nov 20, 2012 5:24 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 21, 2012 4:56 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- "They're putting in caps, cleaning, doing some white fillings and one that may be infected so may have to take that one out," said mother Samantha Tindell.
She waited patiently while her 4-year-old son Antonio was sedated in Operatory 134.
"I feel more comfortable here with the dentists and nurses," she said.
Dentists like Meggan Krause. She is one of eight completing her specialty training at The Naples Children and Education Pediatric Dental Center.
"I have a passion for it so I am biased. You want to do this because if you have a good heart you are working for kids and under-served kids," she said.
Research from The Naples Children and Education Foundation shows 31 percent of Collier County children lack adequate dental care and there are not enough dentists to treat them. This center helps fill the gap. Since 2008 dentists here have treated 45,000 patients.
Dr. Lauren Governale is the Clinic Director.
She said, "Poor dental health is directly related to low school performance. They have pain at school and can't study so it is important to have these dental rehabilitations because then they have a better quality of life."
Tindell travelled an hour today for her son's appointment.
"I love this place. I recommend it to everyone I know."
The center serves children up to age 21. It is open from eight am until five pm Monday through Friday. It is located on the Edison State Collier Campus.
- North Fort Myers mobile home fire displaces family
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Warrants detail accusations in Jameis Winston case
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes