|Published:||Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM EST|
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla.-A Bonita Springs man is alive Tuesday night after firefighters pulled him from a burning apartment.
It happened off Bonita Beach Boulevard on Dovewood Court.
Fire officials believe the fire started when the man fell asleep smoking a cigarette and his mattress caught on fire. A neighbor called 911 when she smelt smoke. Firefighters had to break through two locked doors to get to him.
"A little longer and the whole building might have been on fire and he wouldn't have made it," Lt. Richard Scott said.
Firefighters said the rescue was a close call and the man's neighbor saved his life.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim