|Published:||Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM EST|
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla.-A Bonita Springs man is alive Tuesday night after firefighters pulled him from a burning apartment.
It happened off Bonita Beach Boulevard on Dovewood Court.
Fire officials believe the fire started when the man fell asleep smoking a cigarette and his mattress caught on fire. A neighbor called 911 when she smelt smoke. Firefighters had to break through two locked doors to get to him.
"A little longer and the whole building might have been on fire and he wouldn't have made it," Lt. Richard Scott said.
Firefighters said the rescue was a close call and the man's neighbor saved his life.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire